The years 2015 and 2016 were filled with predictions by authoritative voices that, right after this event or that event, Donald Trump was sure to drop his odd presentation of self and “pivot” to a more traditional, “presidential” performance. Slowly, over much time, people around the world have come to realize that there will be no pivot — that Donald Trump will continue to be who he is despite others’ expectations for who the candidate and eventual President-Elect ought to be.
But who is that person? Who is Donald Trump? Let’s take a look at Donald Trump’s presence on Twitter through his account, @realDonaldTrump, to find out. At times, we’ll look at the account’s overall Twitter use, recognizing that a large hired staff is part of who Donald Trump is. We’ll also take a peek at Donald Trump’s Android posts — posts that The Donald makes himself personally.
# Tweets by Donald Trump between the day after Election Day and the end of 2016: 228
# retweets of others’ posts by Donald Trump: 17
# of Tweets per day by @realDonaldTrump:
# Tweets made from Donald Trump’s personal Android account: 155
# Tweets made from a computer: 9
# Tweets made using the Twitter Ads service: 1
Source of ten least-liked Trump tweets: Trump staff
Source of nine of the ten most-liked Trump tweets: Trump’s personal account
# of references to Twitter accounts: 49
Twitter account most commonly referred to by Donald Trump: his own
Network of joint references (two accounts are tied if they have been referred to in the same Tweet; accounts are larger if they are referred to more often):
Text of ten most-liked Trump tweets:
- Watching the returns at 9:45pm. #ElectionNight #MAGA https://t.co/HfuJeRZbod
- A fantastic day in D.C. Met with President Obama for first time. Really good meeting, great chemistry. Melania liked Mrs. O a lot!
- This will prove to be a great time in the lives of ALL Americans. We will unite and we will win, win, win!
- Merry Christmas and a very, very, very , very Happy New Year to everyone!
- Fidel Castro is dead!
- Nobody should be allowed to burn the American flag – if they do, there must be consequences – perhaps loss of citizenship or year in jail!
- Love the fact that the small groups of protesters last night have passion for our great country. We will all come together and be proud!
- We did it! Thank you to all of my great supporters, we just officially won the election (despite all of the distorted and inaccurate media).
- Just had a very open and successful presidential election. Now professional protesters, incited by the media, are protesting. Very unfair!
- Such a beautiful and important evening! The forgotten man and woman will never be forgotten again. We will all come together as never before
Number of mentions of “I,” “me,” “my,” or “mine” in Donald Trump’s post-election tweets: 136
Number of mentions of “You,” “your,” or “yours:” in Donald Trump’s post-election tweets: 29
Three-word phrases used by Donald Trump’s twitter account:
- Used 10 times: I will be
- Used 6 times: make America great, America great again
- Used 5 times: great state of
- Used 4 times: will be interviewed, to make America, the great state, the failing @nytimes, the electoral college, on the win
- Used 3 times: the fact that, in the US, in order to, I would have, I am not, fact that I, be interviewed on
- Used 2 times: would have won, world comes to, winning the presidency, win very nice, will be leaving, will be going, will all come, who will be, what to do, we will all, very very very, up with the, until such time, trying to get, to win the, to raise money, to make a, to its senses, to congratulate me, to be a, time as the, the world comes, the win very, the united states, the united nations, the so called, the presidency is, the popular vote, the people who, the lincoln plant, the green party, the great workers, such time as, senses regarding nukes, secretary of state, saturday night live, prior to the, plant in kentucky, people who will, out of control, one of the, of the year, of the great, of interest with, of hillary clinton, not suffer from, new year to, millions of dollars, me on the, many foreign leaders, lincoln plant in, know what to, just cant get, its senses regarding, is going to, in new york, in a landslide, if the election, happy new year, great workers of, going to indiana. going to be, electoral college is, electoral college in, don’t know what, did not suffer, coverage of me, congratulate me on, conflict of interest, comes to its, ceo of exxonmobil, cast of hamilton, called to congratulate, billions of dollars, be leaving my, be going to, be allowed to, as the world, am not mandated, all come together