It is perhaps distasteful, inglorious, humiliating and grinding to lose without dignity, as Russian dictator Vladimir Putin recently pointed out and as President-Elect Donald Trump fawningly retweeted. Vladimir Putin would know about undignified losses; he has been proximate to so many of them.
The following is a brief, incomplete list of people who have lost without dignity to Vladimir Putin:
- Alexander Litvinenko, who was poisoned to death after revealing Vladimir Putin’s corrupt self-enrichment.
- The 307 men, women and children who were killed in a Putin-ordered apartment bombing in order to create a pretext for a civil war against Chechnya.
- Anna Politkovskaya, a journalist who specialized in uncovering corrupt government-business deals, shot in the shoulder, chest and head at point-blank range.
- Gay Muscovites, who were beaten by Putin’s police forces for organizing an LGBT pride parade.
- Stanislav Markelov, human rights activist, shot dead.
- 298 passengers on a Malaysian airliner, shot down without apology by Vladimir Putin’s forces as they invaded the Ukraine.
The list goes on and on, but in the interest of remaining dignified we’ll cut it short here. It is less important to remember the names and the faces of the many people who have lost without dignity at the hands of Vladimir Putin; it is more important for us to try to understand why dictator-for-life Putin often appears to be grumpy and curt in public. The poor man; can you blame him? He has had to see so much undignified, humiliating behavior while people around him lose their rights, their freedom, their families and their lives. Having to see all that tacky behavior by losers is enough to make anyone a tad crabby.